This Official Statistics bulletin presents information on the number of crimes and offences recorded by the police in Scotland during May 2021. It also includes a comparison with the equivalent month of the previous two years.
The police in Scotland recorded 19,376 crimes in May 2021. This was 6% lower than the 20,587 crimes recorded in the same month of 2020 (when the first pandemic lockdown was still in place).
In May 2021:
- Non-sexual crimes of violence were 8% higher compared to May 2020
- Sexual crimes were 34% higher compared to May 2020
- Crimes of dishonesty were 8% lower than May 2020
- Fire-raising, vandalism etc. was 13% higher than May 2020
- Other crimes were 19% lower compared to May 2020
- Fewer crimes were recorded by police in 21 (66%) out of 32 local authorities, compared to May 2020.