This Official Statistics bulletin presents information on the number of crimes and offences recorded by the police in Scotland during April 2021. It also includes a comparison with the equivalent month of the previous two years.
The police in Scotland recorded 19,347 crimes in April 2021. This was 13% higher than the 17,171 crimes recorded in the same month of 2020 (when the first pandemic lockdown was in place).
In April 2021:
- Non-sexual crimes of violence were 13% higher compared to April 2020
- Sexual crimes were 45% higher compared to April 2020
- Crimes of dishonesty were 7% higher than April 2020
- Fire-raising, vandalism etc. was 18% higher than April 2020
- Other crimes were 13% higher compared to April 2020
- More crimes were recorded by police in 27 (84%) out of 32 local authorities, compared to April 2020.