Recorded Crime in Scotland is an official statistics bulletin presenting information on the number of crimes and offences recorded by the police in Scotland during March 2021. The number of crimes recorded by the police in Scotland was 1% higher in March 2021 than in March 2020, increasing from 18,874 to 19,148. This month’s bulletin is the first time that both the current month and the comparison month from the previous year have included periods of coronavirus restrictions.
Over the same time period:
- Non-sexual crimes of violence were 13% higher (increasing from 702 to 795 crimes).
- Sexual crimes were 16% higher (increasing from 1,106 to 1,278 crimes).
- Crimes of dishonesty were 8% lower (reducing from 8,356 to 7,684 crimes).
- Fire-raising, vandalism etc. were 4% lower (reducing from 3,897 to 3,753 crimes).
- Other crimes were 17% higher (increasing from 4,813 to 5,638 crimes).
- More crimes were recorded by police in 22 (69%) out of 32 local authorities.